Alongside a very pretty Old Town and many buildings, either historical such as City Hall or Basel Cathedral, or contemporary, museums represent Basel’s trademarks. The city has the highest concentration of museums in the country. Below is a selection of some places not to be missed :
- Basel Art Museum : one of the oldest public art collections and biggest Holbein collection in the world.
- Jean Tinguely Museum : the glass hall was designed by the Ticino architect Mario Botta and houses the unique metal sculptures by Tinguely.
- Fondation Beyeler : a variety of art collections and special exhibitions are displayed in the 127-metre-long modern building designed by the Italian architect Renzo Piano.
- Museum of Cultures : one of the biggest collections in Europe devoted to life in European and non-European cultures.
- Vitra Design Museum and campus : features a large collection of design classics
- List of exhibitions in Basel museums