Basel, at the heart of Europe, can be reached easily by all transportation means. An airport, three train stations and motorways connect the city to the rest of Europe, while an excellent public transport network makes travelling within the city simple and hassle-free. Basel card allows free use of the public transport system in the city of Basel.
Arriving by plane at EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse
- The EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse is served by several European airlines such as Air France, British Airways, EasyJet, KLM, etc.
- For further information visit: www.euroairport.com/en/flights/scheduled-destinations.html
- Transfer to the city centre by bus, taxi or rental car
- Bus connections to the city centre every 15 minutes, transfer time: 20 minutes
- Take Bus No. 50 to “Basel SBB” (Basel central railway station), see timetable. Visitors staying overnight in tourist accommodation in the city travel free (reservation confirmation counts as a transfer ticket).
More information : BVB (Basel Bus company) www.bvb.ch – Phone: +41 (0)61 685 14 14
The alternative airports when flying to Basel are the Swiss international airports in Zurich 95 km away or Geneva, 250 km away. Both airports are connected to Basel by regular direct trains.
Arriving by train
Basel is an international rail hub: direct ICE, IC and EC daytime and night-time connections from Germany, Austria, Italy, France, Benelux countries, etc. All three of Basel’s railway stations – SBB (Switzerland), SNCF (France) and DB (Badischer Bahnhof, Germany) are in the city centre.
Travellers can also reach the main Swiss cities with direct trains.
If you travel off-peak you can get supersaver tickets with special conditions: they need to be booked in advance, between 30 to 2 days before your travel date.
More information :
Arriving by bus
The bus station is next to Bahnhof SBB, Basel central railway station.
Travelling within the city: free Basel card
Visitors staying overnight in tourist accommodation in the city will receive a BaselCard when checking in . This allows free use of the public transport system in the city of Basel (zones 10, 11, 13 and 15). On the day of arrival, your reservation confirmation counts as a transfer ticket from the train station or Euroairport to your accommodation. Basel Card also offers 50% discount on several tourist attractions such as museums, the zoo, theatres, city tours by bus, guided walking tours or cruises.